During our parents evenings in March we invited parents to take part in the governors’ annual parents’ survey. The survey is a great way for the school to find out how parents feel about the education their child/children receive, with any comments taken on board to ensure that New Marske Primary School is the best it can be. This survey is supplemented by the pupil survey which takes place in the final half term of the academic year.
The total number of surveys received was 154. This was an improvement on the 104 surveys received during the previous year and indicates that handing out the survey during parents evening increased the total number of surveys collected. This will be something we will look at again next year.
As a school we are delighted with the results of the survey. The survey indicates that our parents are very happy with the quality of education their child/children receive. A number of questions received a unanimous thumbs up from our parents.
100% of our parents agreed with the statements that:
- I receive valuable information from school regarding my child’s attainment & progress
- The school has a welcoming and friendly environment
A number of statements had no parents who disagreed with them:
- The school staff and governors are approachable if you have a concern /issue
- My child is taught well
- I feel comfortable talking to my child’s teacher regarding their attainment & progress
- There is enough opportunity at parent’s evenings to discuss my child’s attainment /progress and any concerns I may have
- My child receives a broad and balanced curriculum
- My child feels safe at school
- The overall standards of behaviour of the children whilst at school are good
- I am familiar with the ways in which I can contact the school
A number of positive comments were received from parents about the work undertaken by the school.
- Very impressed with Mrs. Rule’s communication and any concerns I may have regarding my daughter.
- I think the Parentmail app is an excellent source of communication between school and parents. Super work.
- I am very pleased with the approach the school has had with my son and how fairly and quickly it’s resolved.
- I feel my daughter has come on loads this year and enjoys coming to school. I cannot praise Mrs. Lambert and Mrs. Campbell enough, Brilliant teachers.
- I am very happy with the teachers and school performance. School has improved immensely over recent years and has good leadership.
- My son enjoys going to school each day. I feel that he has settled well and making good progress. The teaching staff are always friendly and approachable at all times.
- New Marske Primary has been a great school for all of our children. I will be sad when the youngest moves on to Bydales this summer, thank you.
- My son has made excellent progress this year and enjoys coming to school.
- My daughter has progressed well this year and I feel that she is content within school. Finding all staff approachable.
- I think my daughter seems happy and confident at the moment.
- Very happy with my sons progress.
- Happy with my daughter at school.
- We are so happy with our son’s progress and the staffs fab attitude to supporting him.
- Our daughter loves school so I think that speaks for itself and she’s coming on really well.
- I am very happy with the progress my child is making and he enjoys coming to school everyday which is lovely to see.
To emphasise how positive the survey was out of the 2926 individual responses from the 154 surveys, 2728 were entered in the agree box, with only 19 entered in the disagree box. This indicates that the overwhelming majority of parents agree with the work the school is doing. They recognise that staff are working effectively for the benefit of their child/children and if they have any problems, they know there is always someone in school to talk to.
Although there we not a large number of parents who disagreed with any of the statements; in fact disagree was only ticked on 19 occasions, the statements with the largest number of disagreements were:
- I find my child’s attainment & progress report clear and helpful (3%)
- I am aware of how fundamental British Values are promoted in school (2%)
There were also some comments that were raised by some parents:
- I feel more PE/sports /art opportunities should be available. Sports teams / competitions for the children who find education tricky.
- My daughter finds homework tricky sometimes. I would like more homework going over the alphabet to help her move forward with her writing.
- School lunches seem to involve the same kind of food for all the time. Pizza, chips etc shouldn’t be served as often and dessert portions needn’t be so large.
- I find the progress report a bit confusing and hard to follow – maybe an explanation of what we are looking at would be helpful. It would be helpful in Reception if homework was marked. Not enough afterschool activities for younger children to access, all for older children – eg sports clubs. Why can’t we have the Simon Carson sports available in school holidays?
- We find that we don’t hear or aren’t reminded about things.
- My daughter was pushed by someone at school for two times. First time her knee was grazed and tights broken. Second time her shoes were damaged and she got a bruise on her hip, she said was painful.
- My son has been bullied and at times still is and my son hates going to school at times when he tells the truth he is made out to be a liar – this needs sorting
- I know funding is an issue but some diversity in the reward system would discourage apathy in good attainers. ***** would like help stations within classrooms to help when stuck, ***** would also like more reading time.
Even though the survey was extremely positive, there were a number of points that the school will take to improve the quality of education for our pupils and our interactions with parents. The first area we will look at will be to simplify the termly parents report. Although this document does contain a lot of information, the school will review the report to ensure it contains the most relevant information in an easily accessible way.
The other key areas we will look at will be to reduce the number of parents who do not know about school practices or policies. A significant number of parents, 24, indicated that they did not know that the school has an effective anti bullying policy. All relevant policies are available on the school website and if any parent wishes to look at a specific policy this can happen by contacting the school office.
The school will continue to look at the results of this survey and see if there are any other changes we can make to ensure that all of our pupils and parents are pleased with the education and service we provide.
On behalf of the school and governors I would like to thank all of the parents who took the time to complete the survey and let us know how they feel about New Marske Primary SChool.
The full results of the 2017 Governors Parents Survey
|1.The school staff and governors are approachable if you have a concern /issue||95%||0%||5%||0%|
|2. The school responds well to any concerns raised (eg: bullying, pupil progress/attainment, safeguarding etc.)||84.5%||0.5%||10%||5%|
|3. My child is making good progress||98.5%||0.5%||1%||0%|
|4. My child is taught well||99.5%||0%||0.5%||0%|
|5. I receive valuable information from school regarding my child’s attainment & progress||100%||0%||0%||0%|
|6. I find my child’s attainment & progress report clear and helpful||96.5%||3%||0.5%||0%|
|7. I feel comfortable talking to my child’s teacher regarding their attainment & progress||99.5%||0%||0.5%||0%|
|8. There is enough opportunity at parent’s evenings to discuss my child’s attainment /progress and any concerns I may have||97%||0%||2%||1%|
|9. My child receives a broad and balanced curriculum||99.5%||0%||0.5%||0%|
|10. My child receives appropriate home work for their age and ability||98%||1%||1%||0%|
|11. My child enjoys coming to school||98.5%||1%||0.5%||0%|
|12. My child feels safe at school||99.5%||0%||0%||0.5%|
|13. The overall standards of behaviour of the children whilst at school are good||97%||0%||3%||0%|
|14. If there is a behavioural concern, I hear about it quickly||84%||0.5%||8.5%||7%|
|15. The school has an effective anti- bullying policy||80%||0.5%||15.5%||4%|
|16. The school has a welcoming and friendly environment||100%||0%||0%||0%|
|17. If your child takes school lunches they are healthy, well balanced and value for money||64%||1%||8.5%||26.5%|
|18. I am familiar with the ways in which I can contact the school
(Formal appointment, parent’s forum box, informal discussion with staff etc.)
|19. I am aware of how fundamental British Values are promoted in school||87.5%||2%||10%||0.5%|
|The school communicates with parents effectively
Below represents parents who ticked a, b, c or d
a – Parentmail = 119
b – Twitter = 69
c – School newsletter = 107
d – School website = 48
Parents who responded to the accessibility questions felt there was adequate access around school if required.